(WFI) A delay in government approval for a new stadium has Tottenham Hotspur officials up in arms.
The club is waiting on a key decision by the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) on whether they can move forward on building a 400 million pound, 56,000-seat facility that would open in 2017.
The club is attempting to buy land on which a metalwork business currently operates. However, to legally obtain the land, Tottenham must obtain a government-issued compulsory purchase order.
A ruling by the DCLG secretary of state could allow the club to pursue a relocation deal with the existing business. However, that ruling has not yet come.
The DCLG’s only comment is that the matter is under consideration, according to the London Evening Standard.
The club hopes a ruling will be made sometime this month. Tottenham have been working toward acquiring the land for over a year now.
The plan for a new stadium has been in the works for six years.
Strong Reactions to Beckham Stadium Plan
As David Beckham works toward landing a stadium deal for his Major League Soccer franchise in Miami, critics of the proposal are queuing up.
Having given up on a site near the port of Miami, the focus is now on a 520-acre strip near the city’s downtown waterfront.
However, the proposed 25,000-seat stadium has been called “an abomination,” according to the Miami Herald.
Miami resident Dalia Lagoa criticized the location, saying: “The most appealing thing about the park is that you can take a stroll down Biscayne Boulevard and there’s trees and grass and water right there, not hidden behind some monstrosity.”
“I can’t imagine Beckham asking the mayor of London to put a soccer stadium in Kensington Park, St. James’ Park, or in Hyde Park. He’d get run out of town.”
Meanwhile, Raul Rodriguez, an architect in Miami, is working on a science museum in the park. He says a new stadium would be “like landing a flying saucer in the middle of the park.”
Nigeria Stadium Blast Kills More Than 40
The detonation of a bomb at a football stadium in Mubi, Nigeria left over 40 dead on Sunday.
“There has been a bomb explosion at a football field this evening, and so far more than 40 people have been killed,” said a police officer, according to France 24.
On Monday, word of an arrest came down. It was made by troops “who cordoned [off] the area in swift response to the explosion.”
One witness says the explosion occurred within a large crowd of people who were crossing the pitch to head home after the match had ended.
The Boko Haram Islamists have been behind previous attacks in the town of Mubi. The group made headlines in April due to the kidnapping of 276 schoolgirls.
By INSIDER’s Nick Devlin