(WFI) Spain’s La Liga matches will go ahead this weekend after a Madrid court ruled in favour of six clubs opposing strike action in a row over television rights.
“The court decides the official calendar for the first and second divisions should remain unaltered for the next round of matches,” said a court statement issued on Wednesday.
“The league calendar cannot be changed.”
The Spanish football league (LFP) last month called for strike action to put pressure on the government to axe a 1997 regulation that requires one La Liga game per matchday to be shown on free-to-air television.
Most Primera Liga teams with the exception of Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad, Real Zaragoza, Espanyol, Sevilla and Villarreal backed the proposed strike under efforts to secure more lucrative deals with pay TV broadcasters.
While the LFP wants the legislation scrapped to help strengthen clubs’ positions in negotiations on TV rights, the rebel clubs said the strike was against the interest of clubs, the La Liga and fans.
The strike would have caused the Spanish league season to be extended from the end of May to mid-June.
In a response to the ruling, the LFP said in a statement today that it would continue to search for solutions “to the different grievances suffered by professional football in Spain”.
Reports from Spain said LFP vice-president and Sevilla director Jose Maria Cruz quit his league post on Tuesday. No reason was given.
By INSIDER editor Mark Bisson
Your best source of news about the global football business is World Football INSIDER