(WFI) FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke says world football’s governing body is concerned with Brazil’s preparations to host the 2014 World Cup.
“It is clear that Brazil has not started to work on the stadiums yet. There are many things that should be done. Brazil cannot lose time,” warned Valcke.
“Every day is valuable. There is much work to do,” he said.
Valcke spoke about 2014 preparations at a press conference in Sun City, South Africa last week.
The Confederations Cup will be played in Brazil mid-2013 and FIFA requires that at least five World Cup stadiums are used during the event.
Valcke also discussed plans for the Morumbi Stadium in Sao Paulo, Brazil´s largest city, whose design for the World Cup, he said, does not fulfill FIFA requirements to stage some of the most important games of the tournament.
“The Morumbi cannot host matches beyond the first and second stage”, he said. “This is not a personal fight against the city of Sao Paulo, that’s nonsense,” he added.
Meanwhile, it has been confirmed that the construction of the Capibaribe Arena in Recife for the 2014 World Cup will only start on May 10, two months after the deadline set by FIFA. According to Silvio Bompastor, the executive secretary of the steering committee of the State Program of Public-Private Partnerships (CGPE), delays in legal procedures led to the delay.
The government denies that Recife runs the risk of not hosting the World Cup. To Bompastor, that possibility does not exist.
“FIFA has not set an exact date for the start of construction of the arena; only the date of completion is set. We have 30 months to construct the Capibaribe Arena, which is more than sufficient,” he said.
Elsewhere, the start of the construction of the Arena das Dunas, the new World Cup stadium in Natal, will be delayed from March 1, the official FIFA starting date, to the beginning of June. Costs will jump from $170 million to $220 million.
Fernando Fernandes, secretary of ourism of Rio Grande do Norte and chairman of the Steering Committee Cup in Natal blames bureaucracy for the delay in the start of the construction.
“At first we would have a public project that would involve the construction and reform of the entire Arena das Dunas area. As this was not possible, we had to change the project structure and adopt a public-private partnership, it was necessary to extend the deadlines.”
CONMEBOL Extraordinary Congress
At its congress in Johannesburg on June 8, CONMEBOL will finalize the reform of its statutes to meet the standards set by FIFA. The changes would take place from 2011 onwards.
The most important changes are within the structure
of the South American football confederation. From 2011, the new executive council will have the highest authority. This body will be formed by CONMEBOL president Nicolas Leoz and the presidents of the 10 member national associations.
The executive committee is the next most important decision-making authority of CONMEBOL. It will be formed by the vice president, the treasurer and the general secretary plus three members appointed by the president from the 10 members of the national associations.
The new statute requires the creation of an Ethics Committee, a Disciplinary Appeals Committee, a Development, Marketing and TV Committee, a Beach Soccer Committee, a Futsal Committee, a Finance Committee, an International Affairs Committee, a Women’s Football Committee and a Referees Committee.
Several of these are already in operation, but have not so far been officially approved and regulated by congress.
Flamengo on verge of sponsorship
Flamengo is close to signing a sponsorship worth $2.75 million for space on the shorts. Three companies made Flamengo a proposal and a fourth company is also pitching in this week. Flamengo already has shirt sponsor agreements with Batavo and BMG worth $16.8 million per year.
“We work on other projects, but in terms of revenues, sponsorship of the shorts is a priority. By the end of March we hope to have closed the deal,” said the club’s executive director of marketing, Harrison Baptista.
Flamengo decided not to sell the space at the bottom of the back of the shirt because players are obligated to put their shirt in their shorts by federation rules and the name of the sponsor therefore would not be visible.
Nike presents Brazil shirt for the World Cup
At a Nike event in London last Thursday, Milan striker Alexandre Pato presented the Brazil shirt for the World Cup in South Africa.
The shirt is, like the jerseys of other Nike-sponsored World Cup participating countries, made up of eight recycled plastic bottles and are totally recyclable. On Tuesday, Brazil will debut the new shirt against Ireland at Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium, the country’s last friendly before the World Cup.
Belo Horizonte hotel rooms
Before 2014, the city of Belo Horizonte will have 13 new standard or luxury class hotels. It is estimated that after the completion of construction, the city has about 3,000 new hotel rooms. In total $55 million will be invested.
Growth in Brazilian football
According to a report from Crowe Horwath RCS, the audit and consulting firm, the Brazilian football market will grow from $1.7 billion in 2008 to $3 billion by the end of 2014.
Growth is expected to be boosted by the exploitation of new-build stadiums, improved television rights contracts and higher revenues generated directly from football fan spending. The projection for 2009 to 2014 is based on financial data gathered from the last six years.
reporting from Steve Esselink in Rio de Janeiro
best source of news about the global football business is World
Get Free WFI news