FIFA gave Temarii a one-year ban following World Cup bribery revelations in the Sunday Times in October. (Getty Images)

(WFI) Three candidates will seek to replace disgraced former Oceania Football Confederation president Reynald Temarii at this weekend’s elections at the OFC congress.

The OFC has confirmed the nominations of Fred de Jong and Frank van Hattum, both board members of New Zealand Football, as well as Papua New Guinea FA president David Chung.

As acting OFC president, Chung will preside over Saturday’s elections in America Samoa, where each of the confederation’s 11 member FAs is entitled to two representatives but only one vote. 
The 22 delegates to the congress will choose who succeeds Temarii, the Tahitian FIFA Ex-co member who was caught by undercover reporters last year demanding around $2.4 million to pay for a football academy in Auckland in exchange for his World Cup vote.

Also on Saturday, 10 candidates will vie for seven positions on the OFC’s executive committee.

Nominees for the four-year posts include de Jong, Martin Alufurai (Solomon Islands), Thierry Ariiotima (Tahiti), Claude Fournier (New Caledonia), Iuli Alex Godinet (American Samoa), Lee Harmon (Cook Islands), Sahu Khan (Fiji), Lambert Maltock (Vanuatu), Toetu Petana (Samoa) and Honourable Ve’ehala (Tonga).
The new Ex-Co will then choose a senior vice president, vice president and treasurer at a meeting following the morning elections.

Both FIFA president Sepp Blatter and secretary general Jerome Valcke are expected to attend Saturday’s proceedings in Pago Pago.

Garber: Miami Not On MLS Roadmap
MLS commissioner Don Garber says Miami isn’t destined for a return to Major League Soccer anytime soon.

Garber was in nearby Fort Lauderdale over the weekend for the MLS Combine when he met with the Miami Ultras, a 300-strong supporters group campaigning for a South Beach expansion franchise.
Don Garber said in his State of the League address a relaunched New York Cosmos was likely to join MLS in 2013 but not guaranteed. (Getty Images)
“We do hope at some point that MLS can get back to South Florida and have success here because it’s hard to imagine a future with no team south of Washington, D.C.,” Garber was quoted
by The Miami Herald.
“From the time the league started, the plan was to have a team in Miami. We want it to work here. It’s an ethnically diverse market that loves soccer and has very high TV ratings for World Cup. It is the gateway to Latin America. But we tried it and were not successful. We need to know the market can show massive support for an MLS team, and we have a long way to go to reach that conclusion.”
The Miami Fusion was a 1998 expansion franchise that disbanded after just three MLS seasons. Garber told the Ultras their city must show more support for second-tier Miami F.C. as well as any international teams that come to town.
Saturday’s
comments come less than two months after the commissioner suggested during his annual State of the League address that a second New York-area club is not yet a certainty and that Miami was perhaps still in the running for what will likely be the last expansion franchise for a while.
Garber confirmed during the November teleconference he was still in talks with Atlanta and had received interest from Miami, Orlando, Tampa and San Diego before adding that the two-team market created by a resurrected New York Cosmos would be tough to pass up.
Whether said interest was anything more than the Ultras’ daily email barrage remains unclear.

Galaxy Star Joins New York Cosmos
MLS legend Cobi Jones is leaving one of the league’s first clubs for what will likely be its next.

Cobi Jones is the U.S. national team’s all-time caps leader. (New York Cosmos)
The New York Cosmos announced Monday that the L.A. Galaxy player-turned-assistant will be its new associate director of soccer.
“Cobi Jones fits perfectly into the DNA of this club,” Cosmos chairman Paul Kemsley said in a statement.

“We look forward to the impact that he will have on this organization and on the players who will form the backbone of our future.” 

 
Jones, 40, will be charged with player development and training for the club’s soccer-specific programs. 
The California native is the only man to have played in each of the first dozen MLS seasons. All 12 came with the Galaxy, for whom he worked as an assistant coach since his 2007 retirement.
Jones will also act as a spokesperson and community liaison as the Cosmos push for a 2013 entry into the league.

By INSIDER’s Matthew Grayson

Your best source of news about the global football business is World Football INSIDER

Get Free WFI news bulletins Click Here

Leave a Reply