(WFI) Mayor Boris Johnson urges Tottenham Hotspur to give up their fight for the 2012 Olympic Stadium and instead accept a $26.6 million package to stay put in north London.
we have made,” said Haringey Council Leader Claire Kober.
In a statement today, Spurs revealed that the club had already invested $94m in land acquisition in order to facilitate the site assembly for the new stadium scheme and a further $39m on the planning process.
Club chairman Daniel Levy said the proposed stadium scheme and wider area development had the potential to deliver hundreds of millions of pounds worth of much-needed regenerative development to Tottenham.
“But we cannot be expected to do this single-handedly. We have seen land values fall again post the recent riots and this is a further concern for the club as it considers the nature of the investment,” he said.
Levy added: “The overall scheme requires a complex package of financing of which the correct level and nature of public support is critical.
“We have held discussions with Haringey Council and the Mayor’s office regarding the funding of the public infrastructure works associated with the scheme.
“It would be wholly irresponsible of us to announce we were proceeding with the scheme without the appropriate agreements and support firmly in place. Discussions are continuing with all the relevant stakeholders and we shall, as always, keep our supporters updated.”
English Premier League rivals West Ham were selected as the Olympic Stadium’s preferred tenant back in February, a ruling Tottenham has been fighting ever since.
Doha is also vying to stage the IAAF worlds in 2017. The IAAF Council will make its decision in Monaco on Nov. 11.
By INSIDER’s Matthew Grayson
Your best source of news about the global football business is World Football INSIDER