(WFI) Mohamed Bin Hammam is yet again banned from world football as the FIFA Ethics Committee moves forward in its case against the Qatari.
Mohamed Bin Hammam (Getty)
With the latest suspension due to end Friday, new ethics chief Michael J. Garcia just beat the deadline.
According to a Thursday statement from FIFA, the U.S. lawyer wrapped up his investigation into fresh allegations of wrongdoing against the former Asian Football Confederation president on Tuesday and submitted his final report to Ethics Committee colleague Hans-Joachim Eckert, the chairman of the adjudicatory chamber.
Eckert has asked Bin Hammam to respond within 45 days.
“Given the seriousness of the violations of the FIFA Code of Ethics as alleged in the final report, Garcia said in his letter to the chairman of the adjudicatory chamber that it was imperative that Bin Hammam remained banned from football during the pendency of any decision on these charges,” says FIFA.
“Based on the report, the chairman of the adjudicatory chamber has decided to provisionally ban Bin Hammam given that a breach of the FCE appears to have been committed and that a decision on the main substance of the case may not be taken early enough.”
Thursday’s decision came after Garcia launched a new probe into allegations Bin Hammam bribed Caribbean voters ahead of the June 2011 FIFA presidential election in which he was a candidate.
Although the Court of Arbitration for Sport overturned in July a lifetime ban imposed on the Qatari last year, he was then hit by a 90-day suspension in August and a subsequent 45-day extension, which would have run out Friday.
Garcia is also investigating claims of financial mismanagement while Bin Hammam was in charge of the AFC.
By INSIDER’s Matthew Grayson
Your best source of news about the global football business is World Football INSIDER
Get Free WFI news bulletins Click Here