(WFI) Ethics investigator Michael J. Garcia says “case closed” to FIFA’s latest bribery allegations against Mohammed Bin Hammam.

Mohamed Bin Hammam (Getty)

Less than a week after extending the Qatari’s ban from world football, FIFA will now drop charges that the former presidential candidate tried to buy the votes of Caribbean officials during his campaign to unseat Sepp Blatter.

The decision echoes a July ruling from the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which cited insufficient evidence when overturning a lifetime FIFA ban imposed last year but said Bin Hammam’s behavior was “not of the highest ethical standard” and that “it is more likely than not” the money in question could be traced back to him.
“This investigation focused on events that took place at the CFU meeting in Trinidad and Tobago in May 2011,” Garcia says in a confidential report to FIFA quoted Thursday by The Press Association. 
“With respect to the events at the CFU conference, the investigation uncovered no new material proof beyond the substantial evidence presented during the proceedings that culminated with the CAS decision vacating Mr. Bin Hammam’s ban.
“Accordingly, the Investigatory Chamber has closed this matter consistent with the CAS Panel’s guidance regarding newly discovered evidence.”
Bin Hammam, 63, remains provisionally suspended as Garcia investigates claims of financial mismanagement while the Qatari was in charge of the Asian Football Confederation. He has always denied wrongdoing and is challenging that ban in Swiss courts.
By INSIDER’s Matthew Grayson


Your best source of news about the global football business is World Football INSIDER

Get Free WFI news bulletins Click Here

Leave a Reply