(WFI) Disgraced former CONCACAF president Jack Warner says funding from FIFA influenced the 2010 Trinidad and Tobago elections.

A screenshot of Warner’s television address

“Tonight I come to you as a man who has been publicly excoriated at the hands of those who I fought to elevate, both home and abroad,” Warner said in a 15-minute public television address earlier this week.

“I will no longer keep secrets for those persons who now seem to seek to destroy this country’s image. I would like to say that through the night that I reasonably and surely fear for my life.”

In the confession, Warner says he has compiled documents that link FIFA, Sepp Blatter and the 2010 Trinidadian election. He said that these documents have been handed over to “respected hands,” to deal with the fallout.

“Accordingly, tonight I place my future in the people of Trinidad and Tobago. I have told the truth in my statements, and the people of this country will make a judgment on the basis of what I have said to them and who shall govern them.”

Warner was indicted by the US Department of Justice on charges of corruption for his role in CONCACAF on May 27. The latest piece of evidence against Warner came out as revelations emerged about a $10 million “South Africa Diaspora Fund” paid from the organizing committee of the 2010 World Cup to CONCACAF, which Warner was to oversee personally, through FIFA. FIFA and the South African sports minister denied it was bribe.

Warner was arrested on May 27 and spent one night in jail before he was released on bond for $395,000 and required to surrender his passport. Warner has been active in proclaiming his innocence, releasing multiple videos before and after his arrest. In his address, Warner apologized for not speaking out sooner.

The full video of Warner’s announcement can be seen below:

Written by Aaron Bauer

Leave a Reply