Mohamed Bin Hammam (Getty)

(WFI) FIFA says former presidential candidate Mohamed Bin Hammam “will never be active in organized football again” following his resignation Saturday.

Another reason he’s gone from the game: a lifetime ban from world football’s governing body.
After extending his provisional suspension on Dec. 6 but then dropping charges last week that he tried to buy the votes of Caribbean officials during his campaign to unseat Sepp Blatter in last year’s elections, FIFA announced Monday the receipt of a resignation letter from Bin Hammam dated Dec. 15 and addressed also to the Asian Football Confederation, of which he was president.
“In view of the fact that under the new FIFA Code of Ethics, the FIFA Ethics Committee remains competent to render a decision even if a person resigns, the Adjudicatory Chamber decided to ban Mohamed Bin Hammam from all football-related activity for life,” said FIFA.
Notably, this lifetime ban – which follows a previous attempt that was overturned earlier this year by the Court of Arbitration for Sport – stems from the final report of FIFA ethics investigator Michel J. Garcia and is based on “repeated violations” of the FIFA Code of Ethics, specifically a section dealing with conflicts of interest.
Monday’s statement says Bin Hammam’s breaches of Article 19 during his presidency of the AFC and as a member of the FIFA Executive Committee from 2008 to 2011 “justified” this lifetime ban but does not make mention of the bribery scandal that scuttled his presidential run.
Bin Hammam, 63, had always denied wrongdoing and was fighting claims of financial mismanagement from his tenure atop the AFC.
By INSIDER’s Matthew Grayson


Your best source of news about the global football business is World Football INSIDER

Get Free WFI news bulletins Click Here

Leave a Reply