UC Sampdoria and Catania Calcio pay respect to victims of Haiti earthquake with a moment of silence before its Serie A match on Jan. 17in Genoa, Italy. (Getty Images)

(WFI) Up to 30 officials, coaches and players are said to have died last week in the collapse of the national football federation headquarters during the Port au Prince earthquake.

Also among the casualties: two taekwondo athletes, two boxers and three judoka who died when the building where they were training was destroyed in the quake, according to Luis Mejia, president of the Dominican Republic Olympic Committee. Mejia visited Haiti last week carrying supplies donated to the Haitian Olympic Committee.

In an email sent Tuesday, HOC President Jean Edouard Baker acknowledged the support of other NOCs in the Caribbean and the Americas.

“Five days after the earthquake, we are still trying to save some victims,” says Baker.

“We cannot yet start evaluating what was destroyed. Somehow one has the feeling that the whole city is to be rebuilt,” he says.

Baker says the HOC offices and staff were unscathed in the quake.

Mexico, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic have offered to help with athlete training.

FIFA vice president Jack Warner of Trinidad says FIFA will contribute $250,000 to earthquake relief. Fellow FIFA vp Moon Jung Chung of South Korea says he will personally donate $500,000 to Haiti.

Written by Ed Hula.

Your best source of news about the global football business is World Football Insider

Get Free WFI news bulletins
Click Here

Leave a Reply