(WFI) Prince Ali bin al Hussein has had to deny reports that he was considering pulling out of the FIFA presidential race to back one single challenger to incumbent Sepp Blatter.

FIFA presidential candidate Prince Ali (Christian Radnedge/ATR)

The head of the Jordanian FA spoke to reporters following the conclusion of the Soccerex Asian Forum at the Dead Sea Resort in Jordan.

Prince Ali contests the FIFA election in Zurich later this month alongside Michael van Praag of the Netherlands and former Portugal international Luis Figo.

In an interview with the BBC World Football programme, Prince Ali appeared to suggest that he would consider withdrawing from the race to become president in order to rally behind a single candidate.

However he later clarified his comments.

“I think it’s taken out of context what I was saying,” he said. “The message I’m trying to make is that it’s not about one person, but that it would be ideal if we come to the conclusion as to who as a candidate has the best chance of winning and we support that candidate.

“But having said that, I am not considering withdrawing.”

Blatter is seeking a fifth term in office and is expected to retain the support of FIFA’s 209 member associations on May 29.

The campaign teams of Van Praag and Figo last week vehemently denied that the two were considering pulling out, despite reports.

Now, Prince Ali confirmed that a discussion between the three of them would likely occur soon.

He said: “It [meeting] will happen obviously, hopefully before the congress. But let me make it clear: I am not withdrawing from the race.”

By INSIDER reporter Christian Radnedge in Jordan

Your best source of news about the global football business is World Football INSIDER

Get Free WFI news bulletins Click Here

Leave a Reply