After El Clasico: Cristiano Injury Update and Barcelona Eyes Griezmann

Bookmark and Share
Despite his injury, Cristiano will play in the Champions League final (Wikimedia)
(WFI) Cristiano Ronaldo’s sprain in his right ankle is not serious, according to the Spanish press. At least not serious enough to threaten the Portuguese star’s presence in the upcoming Champions League final.

Ronaldo will probably miss a couple of La Liga games, but will be fully recovered for the match between Real Madrid and Liverpool in Kiev on May 26.

His injury occurred on Sunday during el Clásico between Barcelona and Real when he rolled his ankle on a Gerard Pique challenge while scoring the first goal for the visitors in the 2-2 draw. Cristiano managed to stay on the field but was substituted at half time.

Ronaldo will miss this Wednesday's game at Pizjuán against Sevilla (something he had already planned, since it was part of his resting period agreed with his manager, Zinedine Zidane) and will not play on Saturday against Celta at the Bernabeu.

Zidane had already anticipated after the Clasico that Cristiano Ronaldo's ankle problem is "nothing serious".

Meanwhile at Barcelona, signing France's Antoine Griezmann from Atletico de Madrid seems to be a top priority.

On Sunday Barcelona's president Josep Maria Bartomeu confirmed talks with Griezmann's agent.
Right after the game against Real Madrid, Bartomeu said he spoke with a Griezmann representative back in October, but clarified that he has not been in touch with Atletico Madrid over a transfer yet.

Griezmann's agent has spoken to Barcelona (Wikimedia)
Griezmann has a release clause of around $120 million and although his contract with Atletico extends until 2022, his departure from the Spanish capital in June seems increasingly likely.

"I have bumped into him (Griezmann) occasionally in the Balearic Islands. With (Atletico Madrid President Enrique) Cerezo I have spoken about a lot of things, but not about this," said Barcelona’s president

"We are analyzing the season and we will see what we will do with ins and outs," Bartomeu told Catalan radio station RAC1.

While Bartomeu seems cautious about confirming any possible agreement between Griezmann and Barcelona, Luis Suarez practically confirmed the arrival of the French striker to the Catalan side.

In an recent interview with Uruguay’s Rincon Radio, Suarez said Griezmann “is welcome” at Barcelona while stating “He (Griezmann) is not coming to take the place of anyone, but with the ambition of winning important things.

"It makes the club proud to bring players of this quality like Antoine, like [Ousmane] Dembele and [Philippe] Coutinho came.

"He (Griezmann) is a player who brings a huge amount, he has a lot of years playing at the highest level, always fighting. He rules up front for Atletico and that is fundamental," said Suarez.

Griezmann has scored 27 goals this season in all competitions. He is one of the reasons for Atletico’s return to the Europa League final against Marseille next week in Lyon, France.

In the past, the 27-year-old French striker was strongly linked to Manchester United but the Frenchman finally chose to stay in Spain.

Griezmann was one of the three finalists in the 2016 FIFA player-of-the-year award behind winner Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.


By INSIDER Javier Monne

Your best source of news about the global football business is World Football INSIDER

Get Free WFI news bulletins Click Here

(Copyright 1992 - , all rights reserved. The information in this report may not be published, excerpted, or otherwise distributed in print or broadcast without the express prior consent of World Football Insider and Around the Rings, Inc.)

 WFI Spotlight